- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Minutes and Proceedings of the First Annual Convention of the People of Colour, held by adjournments in the city of Philadelphia, from the sixth to the eleventh of June, inclusive, 1831.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
District of Columbia.--William Wormley, Vice·President ; John W. Prout, Corresponding Secretary.
Delaware.--Rev. Peter Spencer, Vice-President; Abraham D. Shad, Corresponding Secretary.
Virginia.--James Wilkins, Vice-President; William Duncan, Corresponding Secretary.
New Jersey.--Leonard Scott, Vice-President; with permission to appoint his Secretary.
Connecticut.--Scipio C. Augustus.
Ohio.--Charles Hatfield, Vice-President; John Liverpool, Corresponding Secretary.
On motion of Mr. Jennings, it was Resolved, That the Vice-Presidents and Secretaries of each state are hereby requested to use every exertion in recommending the formation of Associations for the purpose of raising funds for the great object in view, and that each Society appoint its own Treasurer, who shall pay over all moneys so collected to the Treasurer of the General Fund at Philadelphia.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
TO BE OBSERVED BY
THE CONVENTIONAL BOARD OF OFFICERS.
1st. The funds shall be under the immediate control of the Officers of the Convention during their continuance in office, subject to the following restrictions, viz :—
They shall pay all moneys appropriated by the Convention, and for that purpose they are hereby invested with authority to draw on the Treasurer for the same.
They shall pay all the ordinary expenses of the Convention that may be necessary and proper, and shall with proper vouchers account to the Annual Convention for the same at each session.
The President shall preside at each meeting of the Board of Officers which shall form a Council for the transaction of the business of the Convention during its recess.
During the absence or inability of the President to preside, the Vice-President shall be competent to discharge all of his duty in the Council.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.