- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Colored Conventions and the Black Press
- The 1853 Manual Labor College Initiative
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Minutes of the State Convention of Colored Citizens, Held at Albany, on the 18th, 19th, and 20th of August, 1840, for the purpose of considering their political condition.
1840 State Convention in Albany NY.compressed.19.pdf
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
The Committee would recommend·that the house go immediately into a committee of the whole, to appoint, the several County committees.
PATRICK H. REASON,
WILLIAM H. TOPP,
ELIMUS P. ROGERS,
ABNER H. FRANCIS,
JAMES W. DUFFIN.
On motion, Resolved, That the report of the Committee be accepted.
Resolved, That the first resolution of the committee be adopted.
Resolved, That the Central Committee of seven consist of the following members: H. H. Garnet, Troy, chairman; C. S. Morton, M. Dougee, John P. Anthony, S. Myers, Albany; G. H. Baltimore, and Daniel Jones, of Troy.
Resolved, That we go immediately into a committee of the whole, to appoint County committees.
The Convention went into a committee of the whole; R. P. G. Wright in the chair.
The following are the county committees, as appointed:
Albany Co., C. S. Morton, H. R. Crummell, F. G. Murray; Washington Co., J. Harris. Whitehall; Otsego Co., H. Granger, Coopers Town; Oneida Co., W. D. Anderson, Utica; Madison Co., S. R. Ward, Peterboro; Onondaga Co., A. Dunbar, Syracuse; J. Chester, do.; Schenectady Co., R. P. G. Wright, Schenectady; Tioga Co. L. Johnson, Owego; Tompkins Co., H. Jackson, Ithica; Herkimer Co., W. Johnson, Little Falls; Livingston Co., J. Crawford, Genesco, C. McGayner; Seneca Co., T. James, Seneca Falls; Jefferson Co., J. Terrill, Sacketts harbor; Ontario Co., J. W. Duffin, Geneva, D. H. Ray; Monroe Co., A. Stewart, Rochester; Erie Co., L. Platt; Allegany Co., J. Peterson, Scio, I. Hough, Friendship; Wayne Co., P. B. Lee, Palmyra, Wm. Bristol; Orleans Co., R. Gardner, Medina; Niagara Co., J. Morgan, Lockport, N. Blount, do,; Oswego Co., J. E. Grant, Oswego; Cortland Co., Wm. Simmons, Village; Broome Co., C. Spruce, Binghampton; Kings Co., B. Croger, Brooklyn, A. Washington, do.; Queens Co., S. V. Berry, Jamaica, E. M. Africanus, Flushing; New York Co., J. J. Zuille, G. Lawrence, sen., F. Olney, C. L. Reason, C. B. Ray, P. H. Reason, A. Elston, J. Fields, T. Seaman, W. P. Johnson, New York; Westchester Co., U. Boston, Poughkeepsie, N. H. Simons, do., J. N. Mars, do.; Ulster Co., T. Harley, Kingston; Green Co., M. Cross, Cattskill; Van Rennselaer Co., Wm. Rich, Troy, J. A. Furbord, do.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.