- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Official proceedings of the Ohio State Convention of Colored Freemen : held in Columbus, January 19th-21st, 1853.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
OHIO STATE CONVENTION
COLUMBUS, Jan. 19, 1853.
Pursuant to a call of the State Central Committee of the State of Ohio, the colored citizens of the State, met in convention in the 2nd Baptist Church. The convention was called to order by appointing SABRAM COX of Lorain, President pro tem., and ALEX. FERGUSON, Secretary. On motion of H. F. Douglass,
Resolved, That each county be allowed nine delegates.
On motion, persons not delegated by their respective communities were admitted to membership. The following delegates were enrolled:
Belmont County.—Jesse Hargrove, S. T. Jones.
Champaigne County.—Wm. Waring.
Clark County.—Wm. P. Morgan.
Columbiana County.—James Davis.
Cuyahoga County.—William H. Day, A. J. Gordon, John Brown, R. B. Leach, George Vosburgh, Thomas Carroll, Phillip Williams.
Delaware Co.—William Hope.
Erie Co.—J. J. Pierce.
Fairfield Co.—Jeremiah Bowman.
Fayette Co.—S. G. Smothers.
Franklin Co.—C. H. Langston, John Booker, John Brown, D. Jenkins, L. D. Taylor, H. F. Douglass, John T. Ward, Edward Davis.
Greene Co.—Anthony Young, John R. Bowles, Wilson Eavens, Dempsey Roberts.
Hamilton Co.—Alexander Ferguson, B. Bowser.
Licking Co.— ——Page.
Logan Co.—J. Archer, W. Walden, Sterling Hathcock.
Lorain Co.—John Watson, S. Cox, J. Mercer Langston.
Miami Co.—James H. Yancey.
Morrow Co.—Isham Martin.
Montgomery Co.—John Johnson, Thos. Jefferson.
Pickaway Co.—R. R. Randolph.
Ross Co.—J. F. James, T. J. Jean, Wm. Norman.
Seneca Co.—Darius Roberts.
Stark Co.—Wm. T. Holliday.
Union Co.—A. J. Scott, Wm. Hill.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.