- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of Consultation Convention of 350 leading Colored Men of Georgia. Held in Macon, Georgia, January 25th and 26th, 1888
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Is this transcription complete and correct?
Please let us know:
Current Saved Transcription [history]
inutes of consultation convention. UNION BROTHERHOOD OF GEORGIA—STATE COUNCIL. Whereas, It has progress for men engaged been in found a common necessary cause, in and all aiming ages of the world s to accomjilish purposes Whereas, beneficial There to all alike, to form some sort of compact; interest of the people the state are specially and are of a number of Georgia, and objects in which that the pertain colored to people the best interested, matters Whereas, bear specially We, the upon colored them, sembled, realize the importance the ballot, Whereas, and We believe that because of the fact and people of more of unity Georgia in such an of that some of the Convention as¬ lent only to prevent the prostitution of the ballot of action in the use of organization will tend, not whicli is so largely preva¬ that in our state at the present time, but will elevate the franchise to higher use which God; Whereas, and will make the voice of the people the voice ot We regard such consummation, as most desirable to all classes of our state; therefore be it the Resolved, That we do here agree to form an organization, objects, aims and purposes object of and which name. shall be as follows
the colored 1st. voters The of object Georgia of through, this cast their ballots as to organization shall be to so unite the local organizations, that they may so classes without effect the best interests of the state, and of all duty such 2nd. To this regard end each to bound to vote in men or measures race or creed. state, member county of tlie and organization municipal will be held in cils of this organization. organization 3rd. This has to do, as shall It being be endorsed distinctly by the understood state or elections, local that coun¬ this for of Georgia. 4th. It only with state, and not national affairs. organization shall be known as the Union Brotherhood local shall have a State Executive Council, a State Council, and organizations as hereinafter provided. membership. members The membership of all local organizations of this Constitution. Union in Brotherhood the state, organized shall comprise under this the state The State Council of this President, 13 Vice-Presidents, inafter Secretary Council, provided. and and the Treasurer, Chairman the of council. Union Brotherhood Recording Chairman of each County shall consist of the Secretary, Corresponding each Senatorial District and City Council as here¬ The officers of officers the State and Council executive of be a President, 3 Vice-Presidents from Presidents to be of Georgia, a, Recording chosen, one each from council. the Union Brotherhood the State at large, the ten Congressional shall 10 Vice- districts dnd cil. Union _ shall of the Secretary, Chaplain. These officers They Brotherhood, shall have when the be Union elepted Brotherhood, annually at shall constitute Corresponding the State Secretary, Executive Treasurer Coun¬ general the State oversight Council and is not management in session. the regular meeting and shall hold their of the They of the State Council office one year, or
You don't have permission to discuss this page.