- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Southern States Convention of Colored Men, held in Columbia, S.C., commencing October 18, ending October 25, 1871.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Is this transcription complete and correct?
Please let us know:
Current Saved Transcription [history]
The CHAIRMAN then announced the appointment of the following Committee on Credentials:
T. C. Antoine of Louisiana; J. H. Rapier, of Alabama; J. H. Johnson, of Arkansas; J. M. Simms, of Georgia; Isaac Meyers, of Maryland; S. H. Scott, of Mississippi; H. E. Hayne, of South Carolina; John DeBruhl, of Texas; A. J. Flowers, of Tennessee.
On motion of Mr. PINCHBACK, of Louisiana, the Convention, at 1:15 P. M., took a recess until 4 P. M.
The Convention re-assembled, and was called to order at 4 P.M. Hon. J. T. WALLS resumed the chair. Mr. F. C. ANTOINE, from the Committee on Credentials, made the following
REPORT: The Committee on Credentials beg leave to submit the following report:
That they have examined the credentials of the gentlemen from the various States embraced in the call for this Convention, and report the following as members, viz:
State of Alabama- James T. Rapier, James A. Foster, Holland Thompson. State of Arkansas- J. H. Johnson. District of Columbia-_____ State of Florida- J. H. Walls. State of Georgia- J. H. Deveaux, Edwin Belcher, J. M Simms, H. M. Turner, C.L. Bradwell, J. C. Beall, W. H. Noble, T. G. Campbell, John McCluskey, L.W. West, J.F. Quarles, W. H. Harrison, W. A. Golden, A. Gornickey. State of Louisiana- P. B. S. Pinchback, Geo. E. Paris, W. G. Johnson, Edgar Davis, E. Butler, Benjamin Geddis, F. C. Antoine, J. H. Burch. State of Maryland- Isaac Meyers. State of Mississippi- S. H. Scott. State of South Carolina- R. H. Cain, A. J. Ransier, R. B. Elliott, Wilson Cooke, W. J. Whipper, B. A. Bosemon, J. H. Rainey, H. E. Hayne, W. B. Nash, S. J. Lee, John White, Frank Williamson. State of Tennessee- A. J. Flowers. State of Texas- James Green, J. H. Townsend, J. DeBruhl, David G. Scott, Richard Allen, Richard Nelson. State of North Carolina- T. A. Sykes.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.