- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Southern States Convention of Colored Men, held in Columbia, S.C., commencing October 18, ending October 25, 1871.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Is this transcription complete and correct?
Please let us know:
Current Saved Transcription [history]
The CHAIRMAN then announced the appointment of the following Committee on Credentials:
T. C. Antoine, of Louisiana; J. H. Rapier, of Alabama; J. H. Johnson, of Arkansas; J. M. Simms, of Georgia; Isaac Meyers, of Maryland; S. H. Scott, of Mississippi; H. E. Hayne, of South Carolina; John DeBruhl, of Texas; A. J. Flowers, of Tennessee.
On motion of Mr. PINCHBACK, of Louisiana, the Convention, at 1:15 P. M., took a recess until 4 P. M.
The Convention re-assembled, and was called to order at 4 P.M.
Hon. J. T. WALLS resumed the chair.
Mr. F. C. ANTOINE, from the Committee on Credentials, made the following
The Committee on Credentials beg leave to submit the following report:
That they have examined the credentials of the gentlemen from the various States embraced in the call for this Convention, and report the following as members, viz:
State of Alabama—James T. Rapier, James A. Foster, Holland Thompson.
State of Arkansas—J. H. Johnson.
District of Columbia— ―
State of Florida—J. H. Walls.
State of Georgia—J. H. Deveaux, Edwin Belcher, J. M Simms, H. M. Turner, C.L. Bradwell, J. C. Beall, W. H. Noble, T. G. Campbell, John McCluskey, L. W. West, J. F. Quarles, W. H. Harrison, W. A. Golden, A. Gornickey.
State of Louisiana—P. B. S. Pinchback, Geo. E. Paris, W. G. Johnson, Edgar Davis, E. Butler, Benjamin Geddis, F. C. Antoine, J. H. Burch.
State of Maryland—Isaac Meyers.
State of Mississippi—S. H. Scott.
State of South Carolina—R. H. Cain, A. J. Ransier, R. B. Elliott, Wilson Cooke, W. J. Whipper, B. A. Bosemon, J. H. Rainey, H. E. Hayne, W. B. Nash, S. J. Lee, John White, Frank Williamson.
State of Tennessee—A. J. Flowers.
State of Texas—James Green, J. H. Townsend, J. DeBruhl, David G. Scott, Richard Allen, Richard Nelson.
State of North Carolina—T. A. Sykes.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.