- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Report on the Virginia State Colored Convention held in Richmond, May 27, 1869.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
State Colored Convention.
Report of the Business Committee.
EQUALITY IN ALL RESPECTS CLAIMED.
WELLS AND THE CONSTITUTION.
DR. HARRIS SPEAKS.
The Convention met at 9 o'clock, Bayne in the chair. The minutes were read by the secretary, who, by way of fancy touches put in a few extra sentences. Bayne moved that all the minutes be adopted after striking out all that nonsense about "wasting ammunition," and all that sort of thing. He wanted that left to scurrilous writers. After the transaction of other unimportant business, Hobson offered a resolution that the Convention go into secret session.
Norton and others opposed this. Troy made a speech, in the course of which he opposed the Walker ticket, and said that everybody who did not vote the Wells ticket would be marked.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.