- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of a Convention of Colored Citizens: Held in the City of Lawrence, October 17, 1866
1866 Lawrence KS State Convention.5.pdf
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
Pursuant to public notice, a mass State Convention of the Colored People of Kansas assembled in Frazer's Hall, in the city of Lawrence, on the 17th of October, 1866, at 11 o'clock A. M.
The Convention was called to order by H. H. Thomas, and on his motion, William L. Smith was chosen temporary President, and E. L. Bradley temporary Secretary. The following gentlemen then enrolled their names as members of the Convention:
REV, HENRY JENERALS, LEVI MITCHELL,
JOHN ANDERSON, EDWARD MURRAY,
CHARLES ANDERSON, SAMUEL WILLIAMSON,
T. J. BASKERVILLE, SAMUEL CLARK.
HENRY JOHNSON, GEORGE MOORE,
GEORGE BRADLEY, GEORGE WILLIAMS,
H. ROBINSON, WILLIAM JOHNSON,
FULLER CARTER, JOHN BUTLER.
H. H. THOMAS, G. H. PARKER,
WILLIAM L. SMITH, GEORGE RUSSELL,
W.D. MATTHEWS, RICHARD PAGE,
N. HARRIS, JACKSON JOHNSON,
C.H. LANGSTON, GEORGE CUNNINGHAM,
E.L. BRADLEY, ANDERSON MORRIS,
EDWARD HILL, BENJAMIN WRIGHT,
H.C. HAYDEN, JOHN BERRY,
G.B. GRAY, A. JOHNSON,
ISAAC SMITH, HIRAM JOHNSON,
LILBORN DRAKE, THOMAS LETCHER.
On motion, the following committees were then appointed:
ON PERMANENT ORGANIZATION--C.H. Langston, Samuel Clark, Rev. Henry Jenerals.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.