- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Minutes of the Freedmen's Convention, Held in the City of Raleigh, on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th of October, 1866
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
By request, Rev. G.A. Rue sung the Loud Timbrel, whilst the audience assisted in the chorus.
A collection was then taken up. J.R. Caswell made a few remarks on the decrepid state of financial matters. Col. Brady then presented to the Convention $50,00 to assist in defraying its expenses.
A motion was made to express sincere thanks to Col. Brady for his magnanimous and liberal gift. After which the vote of thanks was tendered and three hearty cheers given for Col. Brady and the American flag.
After singing of the doxologies and receiving the benediction, the Convention adjourned sine die.
We are pleased to know through the statements made by the delegates of the various Counties, that notwithstanding various outrages are being committed on our people, that the mass of whites are favorable to our elevation.
Whole number of delegates present 111. Number of counties represented 82.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.