- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the National Convention of the Colored Men of America: held in Washington, D.C., on January 13, 14, 15, and 16, 1869.
1869 National Convention in Washington DC 43.pdf
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
ALABAMA, by J. H. KEEFER, $35,00
RHODE ISLAND, " G. T. DOWNING, 10,00
MASSACHUSETTS, " F. G. BARBADOES, 10,00
NEW YORK, " FRED. DOUGLASS, $5
WM. RICH, $5 } 10,00
PENNSYLVANIA, " DELEGATION, 20,50
MARYLAND, " G. A. HACKET, $5
ROBT. SORRELL. 5 } 10,00
IOWA, " ALEXANDER CLARK, 10,00
TENNESSEE, " DELEGATION, 10,00
NORTH CAROLINA, " G. P. ROURK, 10,00
MISSISSIPPI, " T. W. STRINGER, 10,00
ILLINOIS, " HON. H. P. H. BROMWELL, $10
DELEGATION, 10 } 20 00
DISTRICT COLUMBIA, " DELEGATION, $10
HON. MR. DURAND 10 } 20 00
LOUISIANA, " J. W. MENARD, 10,00
GEORGIA, " H. M. TURNER 10,00
NEW MEXICO, " HON. KIRBY BENEDICT, 10 00
VIRGINIA, " GEO. T. DOWNING, 5 00
DELAWARE, " EDWARD M. DAVIS, Esq. 5 00
KENTUCKY, " W. H. GIBSON, 5 00
NEW JERSEY, " WM. J. WILLSON, 2 00
SOUTH CAROLINA, " H. M. TURNER, 10 00
OHIO, " JOHN M. LANGSTON, 10 00
MAINE " C. D. SHEPHERD, 5 00
KANSAS " COL. HINTON, 7 00
Brief, pointed, and congratulatory remarks were made during the collection of State contributions. When New Mexico was called, Hon. Kirby Benedict, formerly Chief Justice of that Territory, arose and after explaining his great pleasure in listening to the proceedings, stated that he desired that the thousands of intelligent, and loyal colored men of New Mexico should be represented, even at that late hour, in the Convention; he therefore in their behalf, as an encouragement and endorsement of Republican principles from them, made, his donation. His remarks were received with applause, and his name, on motion of F. G. Barbadoes, was ordered enrolled as an honorary member.
Mr. Downing, Chairman of the Business Committee, submitted the following:
You don't have permission to discuss this page.