- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Report of the Convention of the Colored Population, Held at Drummondville, Aug, 1847.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
In consequence of the said call, the Convention met at Drummondville, on Monday, the 2nd day of August, 1847, in the African Methodist Episcopal Chapel.
The House was opened with singing, and prayer by the Rev. N. C. W. Cannon.
Rev. Mr. Cannon was unanimously appointed President, and Mr. Charles Freeman, Secretary, pro tem.
The call of the Convention having been read; on motion of Mr. Smallwood, the Delegates present were requested to present their credentials, when the following gentlemen took their seats, viz. :—
Rev. Thomas Smallwood, - - - - - - Toronto.
Mr. E. B. Dunlop, Agent, - - - - - "
Mr. Charles Freeman, do., - - - - - "
Rev. N. C. W. Cannon, do., - - - - - Hamilton.
Mr. Richard Warren, - - - - - - - "
Mr. J. T. Henson, - - - - - - - - Dawn.
Mr. George Ramsay, - - - - - - - Harwich.
Rev. Nelson Counter, - - - - - - - St. Catherines.
Rev. Alexander Elmsley, - - - - - - "
Mr. J. B. Lindsay, - - - - - - - "
Rev. Alexander Broadwales, - - - - - "
Mr. J. Thomas, - - - - - - - - "
Mr. Benjamin Russell, - - - - - - Drummondville.
Mr. J. Taylor, - - - - - - - - - "
You don't have permission to discuss this page.