- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Colored Conventions and the Black Press
- The 1853 Manual Labor College Initiative
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Colored National Convention, held in Franklin Hall, Sixth Street, Below Arch, Philadelphia, October 16th, 17th and 18th, 1855.
You don't have permission to transcribe this page.
Current Page Transcription [history]
The following Committee was then appointed by the Chairman to examine the credentials of the delegates: Messrs. J. F. Williams, of Harrisburg, Pa.; Stephen Myers, of Albany, N. Y.; and Rev. Amos G. Beman, of New Haven, Conn.
A fervent prayer was then offered by Rev. J. C. Beman, of Middletown, Conn. While the Committee on Credentials were preparing to report, the Convention was addressed by Rev. Stephen Smith, Rev. J. Campbell, and Rev. L. A. Grimes.
The Committee on Credentials reported delegates present from the States of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Robert Morris, John S. Rock, Leonard S. Grimes, Charles L. Remond William C. Nell, Leo. T. Lloyd, William Jackson.
RHODE ISLAND.—George T. Downing.
J. C. Beman, George II. Washington, Samuel T. Gray, A. J. Morrison, Amos G. Beman.
Stephen Myers, James W. Duffin, Jason Jeffries, William H. Topp, W. J. Hodge, Lewis H. Nelson, Daniel Russel, J. J. Simons, Joseph B. Smith, George Le Verre, Janius C. Morrell, James M. Williams, W. J. Wilson, Robert Hambleton, Edward Crosberry, Jacob R. Gibbs, Thomas J. White, J. McCune Smith, Peter A. Bell, Edward V. Clark, R. D. Kenny, C. B. Ray, Peter S. Porter, Henry Beverly, Charles L. Williams, J. W. Bowers, J. J. Scott, J. W. C. Pennington, Peter M. Gray, David Rossell, Charles S. Hodges, Fredrick Douglass, William J. Watkins, J. R. V. Morgan.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.