- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Minutes of the Fourth Annual Convention for the Improvement of the Free People of Colour, in the United States; held by adjournments in the Asbury Church, New York, from the 2nd to the 12th of June, inclusive, 1834.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
adjourned, in Asbury Church. The President of the Conventional Board called the house to order, and prayer was offered by Rev. Mr. Hogarth.
On motion of Mr. Vogelsang resolved, that inasmuch as no rule was laid down by the last Convention held in Philadelphia, respecting the obligation of the Secretary of the Board to perform the duties of Secretary of the Convention, that James Fields be appointed Secretary, and Theodore C. Breshaw, Assistant Secretary.
On motion of Mr. Hughes, resolved, that the credentials of Delegates be called up in geographical order, beginning with the most eastern State. The credentials of Delegates present, were accordingly presented and severally accepted as follows, viz.
Charles L. Remond, Salem. James G. Barbadoes, Boston. John C. Scarlett.
Jacob Perry, Nathan Johnson.
Henry M. Merriman, Alexander C. Luca,
Hoshea Easton, Hartford.
Providence, George Spywood.
Robert Jackson, Catskill.
Jared Gray, Nathan Blount.
John G. Stewart, Charles S. Morton.
George Hogarth, Henry C. Thompson, Henry Brown, Thomas S. Thompson, Abraham Brown.
John K. Jackson, James W.C. Pennington.
City of New-York.
Benjamin F. Hughes, William Hamilton, Sen. Henry Sipkins, Samuel Hardenburg, Peter Vogelsang.
Abner H. Francis, Trenton.
John D. Closson, Henry Drayton.
Amos Freeman, Rahway.
Henry Ogden, Orange.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.