- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Second Annual Convention of the Colored Citizens of the State of California, Held in the City of Sacramento, Dec. 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th, 1856.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
" " John Wilmot,
San Fran'co, W. M. Newby,
" " J. H. Townsend,
" " J. J. Moore,
" " E. J. Johnson,
" " A. G. Dennison,
" " G. W. Gordon,
" " C. B. Bass,
" " H. M. Collins,
" " Peter Anderson,
" " Wm. F. Courts,
San Fran'co Co. F. R. Carter,
" " Nathan Pointer,
" " E. H. Parker,
" " M. W. Gibbs,
" " C. H. McDougall,
" " D. P. Stokes,
" " Daniel Seals,
" " Charles Satchel,
" " J. E. Brown,
Butte, " W. H. Hall,
" " J. B. Johnson,
" " Alex. Ferguson,
Mariposa, " Thomas Duff,
San Joaquin, " Sam'l B. Hyer,
" " Wm. Robinson,
Siskiyou, " C. M. Wilson,
Placer, " I. P. Gibbs,
Napa, " C. A. Gibson,
Alameda, " W. H. Harper,
Tuolumne, " H. F. Smithl
" " N. F. Henry.
Mr. Detter moved to adopt the report of the Committee on Credentials. Mr. Sanderson inquired if members of the State Executive Committee are to be considered ex-officio members of this convention. Mr. Newby thought they should be so considered; to settle the point he would offer a motion that the names of J. B. Sanderson and Geo. W. Booth be recorded on the list of Delegates to the Convention, and that they be accredited as representing the assembly districts in which they reside; this motion was submitted as amendatory of the report of the Committee on credentials, and adopted.
The report on motion of Mr. Detter was adopted.
J. H. Townsend moved that a committee be appointed to consist of one from each county represented, to report a list of officers for the permanent organization of this convention. A discussion ensued as to the most satisfactory mode of appointing the committee as proposed in the motion of Mr. Townsend, in which Messrs. Hall, Phelps, Newby, Lewis, Henry, Moore, and others, participated.
Mr. J. B. Johnson, of Butte, suggested that in appointing this committee, we adopt the course pursued by the convention last year. On examination, Mr. Townsends motion was found to be in accordance with the course taken last year, and it was adopted without further debate. The chairman appointed the following gentlemen as the committee on nominating officers:
W.H. Harper, Alameda,
E. R. Phelps, El Dorado,
Thos. Duff, Mariposa,
Aaron Sisco, Marin,
E. A. Booth, Nevada,
C. A. Gibson, Napa,
I. Gibbs, Placer,
C. M. Wilson, Siskiyou,
B. B. Young, Shasta,
Richard Hall, San Mateo,
G. F. Fletcher, Sacramento,
S. B. Hyer, San Joaquin,
G. W. Miller, Sonoma,
W. F. Courts, San Fransisco,
W. D. Moses, Santa Clara,
N. F. Henry, Tuolumne,
Jacob Francis, Yuba.
The Nominating Committee, through their chairman, Mr. H. Harper, presented the following Report:
For President,--Wm. H. Hall, Butte County.
For Vice Presidents,--B. Young, Shasta "
" " " H.T. Smith, Tuolumne "
" " " T. Duff, Mariposa "
" " " F.G. Barbadoes, Sacramento "
" " " Wm . H. Newby, San Fran. "
For Secretaries,--J.B. Sanderson, El Dorado. "
" " " F.J. Vosburgh, Yuba "
" " " S. Howard, Sacramento "
You don't have permission to discuss this page.