- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Colored Conventions and the Black Press
- The 1853 Manual Labor College Initiative
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the State Convention of Colored Men, Held in the City of Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 16th, 17th, and 18th, 1856.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
Lewis Adams, Henry Ford, John H. Williams, Francis Adams, George Reynolds,
A. J. Scott, R. Heathcock, Wm. Walden.
H. T. Rankin.
U. D. Harris, J. Bruce, J. J. Williamson.
The Committee on permanent organization reported the following gentlemen as officers of the Convention, which report was unanimously adopted:
John I. Gaines.
L. D. Taylor, C. H. Langston, A. Flinn, Thos. Benford, C. A. Yancy.
John Booker, Granville Foster, W. D. Harris.
The following committees were then appointed:
John M. Langston, C. A. Yancy, John Booker, Charles Williams, and John I. Gaines.
On State Organization
Messrs. P. H. Clark, Charles Williams, James Poindexter,
John Booker, and A. J. Scott.
Messrs. Peter H. Clark, C. H. Langston, C. A. Yancy, D. Jenkins,
John Williams, Solomon Grimes, and A. Flinn.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.