- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Colored Men's Convention of the State of Michigan, Held in the City of Detroit ,Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 12th and 13th, '65, with Accompanying Documents. Also, the Constitution of the Equal Rights League of the State of Michigan.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
PROCEEDINGS OF THE COLORED MEN'S CONVENTION
OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, HELD IN THE CITY OF DETROIT,
TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 12th AND 13th, '65,
WITH ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS
ALSO, THE CONSTITUTION OF THE EQUAL RIGHTS LEAGUE
OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN
Report of the Committee on Publication
To the Members of the State Convention:
Gentlemen:--The undersigned, Committee on Publication, in submitting the result of their labors in arranging and correcting the Journal of the proceedings of the late State Convention of colored men, beg leave to state, that owing to the continued indisposition of the Secretary, they were unable to publish the proceedings at an earlier date. They have now the pleasure of submitting to your consideration the proceedings as corrected and revised by your committee.
Very respectfully, your obedient servants,
G. W. Lewis,
H. J. Lewis,
B. Dolbeare Paul,
Com. on Publication.
Adrian, Oct. 23, 1865.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE COLORED MEN'S STATE CONVENTION
HELD IN THE CITY OF DETROIT,
SEPTEMBER 12th AND 13th, 1865
The State Convention of Colored men assembled in the 2d Baptist Church, in Detroit, Mich., Sept. 12th and 13th, at 12 o'clock, M. H. J. Lewis, Esq., of Hudson, called the Convention to order. B. Dolbeare Paul, of Detroit, read the call. G. W. Lewis, Esq., of Adrian, was chosen temporary Chairman, and James Richards, Esq., of Detroit, temporary Secretary. Prayer was offered by Mr. Grinton, of Marshall.
On motion of Mr. D. Roberts, of Adrian, the chairman appointed a committee on credentials, consisting of O. P. Anderson, of Battle Creek, Willis Washington, of Detroit, and S. W. Burton, of Hillsdale.
After the committee had retired, Mr. Paul, of Detroit, D. Roberts, of Adrian, J. W. Brooks, of Ann Arbor, and B. Grinton, of Marshall, in response to the chair, addressed the Convention upon the issues of the day, in an able and lucid manner.
The committee on credentials reported the names of delegates whose seats were not contested. The full list, as corrected, is as follows:
Hudson--H. J. Lewis.
Adrian--D. Roberts, G. W. Lewis.
Lenawee Co.--Robert Brown.
Hillsdale--W. W. Burton.
Ann Arbor--J. W. Brooks, A. Boyar.
Romeo, Macomb Co.--John Hackley.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.