- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Colored Conventions and the Black Press
- The 1853 Manual Labor College Initiative
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the Council of the Georgia Equal Rights Association. Assembled at Augusta, Ga. April 4th, 1866. Containing the Address of the President, Captain J. E. Bryant, and Resolutions Adopted by the Council.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
Wilkinson, Twiggs Monroe, Butts, Spaulding, Pike, Upson Crawford, Taylor, Houston, Macon, and Sumter.
On motion of Powell of Greene, voted that the district of Columbus comprise the following counties--Muscogee, Harris, Meriwether, Talbot, Marion, Chattahoochee, Stewart, Quitman, Clay, Randolph, Early, and Decatur.
On motion of Finch of Clark, voted that the district of Albany comprise the following counties—Dougherty, Lee, Worth, Terell, Calhoun, Baker, Mitchell, and Miller.
On motion of Colby of Taliaferro, voted that the district of Madison comprise the following counties—Morgan, Newton, Walton, and Jasper.
On motion of Finch of Athens, voted that the President be authorited to appoint Deputy Presidents for each of the districts.
The following persons were appointed :
Marieta District H W Strickland, Deputy President.
Athens district, illiam Finch, Deputy President
Warrenton district, Wm Harris Deputy President.
Madison district, S McAlester Deputy President.
Greensboro district, E C Powell, Deputy President.
Washington district, H M Nelson, Deputy President,
Macon district, Lewis Smith, Deputy President.
Atlanta district, Frank Quarles, Deputy President.
Columbus district, Thos Rhodes, Deputy President.
Augusta district, Thos P Beard, Deputy President.
Savannah district, U L Houston, Deputy President.
On motion of Harris of Warren, voted that the President be authorized to appoint Lewis Smith of Bibb county, Deputy President of Albany district with authority to appoint an acting Deputy President to assist him in that district.
On motion of Finch of Athens, voted that a committee of three be appointed on Resolutions. The President appointed Finch of Clarke, Beard of Richmond, Smith of Bibb.
Voted to adjourn to three p. m.
The council was called to order at 3 p. m., by the President.
The Secretary being absent, on motion of Finch of Clarke, voted that T P Beard of Richmond, act as Secretary pro tem.
The committee on Salaries reported through Mr Smith of Bibb that the salaries of the financial Agents be twenty five dollars per week.
E C Powell.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.