- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Bishop Henry McNeal Turner
- Word Travels Fast: 1855 Philadelphia
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the State Convention of Colored Men of Texas, Held at the City of Austin, July 10-12, 1883.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
He set forth in a very strong light the grievances of the colored people in the State of Texas.
The Committee on Credentials came in and reported as follows:
Mr. Chairman and Gentlemen:
We, your Committee on Credentials, respectfully submit the following report of properly accredited delegates to this State Convention of colored men :
Atascosa county. John Howard; Bastrop county, Thos. Hodges, P. M. Morton, Reuben Carr, Jacob Wright, Peter Oliver, Jack Smith; Bexar county, W. W. Grimes, F. A. Denison, D. W. Smith, James Martin, Jr„ G. W. Smith; Brazos county, L. A. Nash, S. Talley, Reese Banner, W. E. Reed; Caldwell county, Q. B. Neal, E. H. Talley, J. W. M. Abernathy; Dewitt County, A. H. Huff, C. L. Madison; Fannin county, Hy. Wilhite, K. W. Williams; Free.stone county, J. D. Davis; Galveston county, J. H. Armstrong, R. Nelson, S, A. Solomon, T. G. Nichols, G. H. Nevils J. Q. A. Potts; Grimes county, L. G. Jordan, James Johnson; Harris county, I. B. Scott, J. S. Tibbett, R. Allen; Harrison county, P. F. Dennis, David Abner, Jr.; Hayes county. J. C. Johns, L. P. White; Lee county, R. M. Johnson, John A. Hickey; McLennan county, A. R. Norris, H. T. Keeling; Nueces county, S. M. Cole; Robertson countv, J. H. Jones, J. N. Gillett, George Stearns, G. B. Lynch. E. I. Saddler; Travis county. Mack Henson, J. N. Johnson, W. H. Holland, H. Swan, W. R. Davis, W. E. Risher, Henry Dickerson, Green Burton, H. G. Madison, J. M. Holland, J. J. Hamilton, A. Grant,; alternates—R. Johnson, E. H. Carrington, H. Russell, W. S Buckner, L. M. Mitchell, W. G. Wilson, Horace Holdem, Wm. Wright, Wm. Walker, J . Purrson; Waller county, E. H. Anderson; Washington county, R. J. Moore. A. Scott, James Johnson, George Talley, W. C. Blount, O. Wells, J. Brooks, A. H. Crawford, J. C. Cain, A. W. Wilder, J. G. Knoxson, A. W. Knoxson, A. F. Jackson, Geo. W. Alexander, R. M. Mackey, H. McAdoo, John Land, M. Johnson, L. M. Sublett J. Scott, Green Hill, S. Love, Wm. Brown, W. Hubert, C. C. Perry, Thos. Hewlett, M. Gaines, Alex. Thomas, Jas. C. Hewitt, A. H. Ratliff, B. G. Guy, G. A. Mayo, J. K. Colbert, W. G. Smith, M. A. Whiting, E. Ramdon, J. Crenshaw, E. Colbert. T. L. Dawson, J, E. Little, Thos. Cooper, J. G. Dixon; Williamson county, W. D. F. Pyle.
The report was adopted.
The following were enrolled after the Committee on Credentials had reported: R. W. Tarvis, Henry Hunt, A. N. Hunt, Lem Black, L. K. Jones, Nelson Alberson, A. L. Over-
You don't have permission to discuss this page.