- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Proceedings of the State Conference of the colored men of Florida, held at Gainesville, February 5, 1884.
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
Gen. Josiah T. Walls submitted the following resolution:
Resolved, That the call as published in the Florida News suggesting this Conference be adopted is the call under which we now assemble.
Rev. Joseph E. Lee moved the following amendment: Strike out all after the word “in" to and including the word “autocrat," and insert in lieu thereof, “favor an Independent for Governor, should the existing circumstances then warrant it."
General Walls accepted the amendment, and the call as amended was unanimously adopted and afterwards embodied in the platform (quod vide).
Gen. Josiah T. Walls moved that a committee consisting of one conferee from each county represented be appointed on platform, and to select a State Executive Committee for the colored voters of Florida. Agreed to.
The chair thereupon appointed the following committee:
Gen. Josiah T. Walls, Alachua County.
K. B. Bonner, Marion County.
John Wallace, Leon County.
Wm M. Artrell, Monroe County.
P. H. Davidson, Escambia County.
J. E. Lee, Duval County.
David Crocket, Santa Rosa County.
H. Brooks, Sumter County.
W. R. Long, Jefferson County.
Riley E. Robinson, Nassau County.
P. W. Bryant, Hillsborough County.
E. I. Alexander, Madison County.
A. C. Lightbourn, Gadsden County.
J. F. Murrell, Levy County.
B. W. Wiley, Volusia County.
Fred. Martin, Columbia County.
C. H. Thompson, Bradford County.
C. H. Boger, Orange County.
At 5:30 P. M. it was moved that the Conference take a recess and reassemble at 7 o'clock in the Court-House, which had been tendered to the Conference by the county sheriff. Agreed to.
The Conference reassembled at 7 P.M. in the Court-House and was called to order by the vice-president, Hon. Geo. W. Witherspoon.
General Josiah T. Walls, from the Committee on Platform, etc., submitted the following report:
You don't have permission to discuss this page.