- A Brief Introduction to the Movement
- Word Travels Fast
- Henry Highland Garnet's "Address"
- What Did They Eat? Where Did They Stay?
- Black Wealth and the 1843 Convention
- African American Women's Economic Power
- The First National Convention
- The "Conventions" of the Conventions: Political Rituals and Traditions
- Conventions by City
- National Conventions
- Women Delegates
- Women in the Conventions
- Convention Hosts by Denomination
- Conventions by Level
- Clusters of Conventions
- Colored Conventions in Canada
- Delegate Search
- Women in the Conventions | March 8, 2017
- About Us
- Contact Us
Scripto | Transcribe Page
Report on the Texas State Colored Men's Convention in Houston
This page has been marked complete.
- Type what you see in the pdf, even if it's misspelled or incorrect.
- Leave a blank line before each new paragraph.
- Type page numbers if they appear.
- Put unclear words in brackets, with a question mark, like: [[Pittsburg?]]
- Click "Save transcription" frequently!
- Include hyphens splitting words at the end of a line. Type the full word without the hyphen. If a hyphen appears at the end of a page, type the full word on the second page.
- Include indents, tabs, or extra spaces.
Current Saved Transcription [history]
The chairman then announced the state central committee, which is as follows:
First district: A. C. Coor.
Second district: Robert Caldwell.
Third district: G. M. Guest.
Fourth district: George D. Johnson.
Fifth district: G. W. Bryant.
Sixth district: J. A. L. Lowery.
Seventh district: R. M. Jones.
Eighth district: J. M. Benton.
Ninth district: William McDonald.
Tenth district: Robert Armstrong.
Eleventh district: L. S. Simmons.
Twelfth district: A. A. Asberry.
Thirteenth district: W. M. Swanson.
Fourteenth district: E. A. Patton.
Fifteenth district: O. W. Landry.
Sixteenth district: Dr. J. H. Garnett.
Seventeenth district: J. C. Ellis.
Eighteenth district: R. L. Smith.
Nineteenth district: —.
Twentieth district: L. L. Campbell.
Twenty-first district: D. Abner.
Twenty-second district: G. R. Townsend.
Twenty-third district: W. H. Mitchell.
Twenty-fourth district: D. J. Starnes.
Twenty-fifth district: F. W. Gross.
Twenty-sixth district: W. R. Morrow.
Twenty-seventh district: W. J. Smith.
Twenty-eighth district: —.
Twenty-ninth district: P. H. Collier.
Thirtieth district: J. W. Taylor.
Thirty-first district: H. C. Bell.
All of the members of the conference are to-night enjoying an entertainment or banquet tendered them by the United Brotherhood of Friendship and Sisters of the Mysterious Ten societies.
Among those in attendance are the following:
Dallas county: W. J. Lowery and F. C. Rutherford.
Bexar county: T. W. Williams.
Hays county: James Smith.
Austin county: A. B. Miller and S. Lyons.
Rusk county: N. B. Jenkins.
Limestone county: L. C. Baker and H. J. McDonald.
DeWitt county: H. H. Gasson.
Bell county: A. Scott.
Harris county: W. C. Cole, W. H. Scott, W. T. Brown, R. S. Stout, Emett J. Scott, C. N. Love, Baily Sparks, H. Watts, H. Lights, J. H. S. Gaines, W. C. Conway, C. H. Brown, O. T. Wilson, W. H. Smith, Richard Allen, F. R. Richard, G. H. Garnett, J. P. Howard, L. R. Jones, R. H. Wilkerson, L. M. Malones, J. D. Payne, A. Thompson, J. H. Collins, J. S. Jones, S. Cotton, R. G. Hurd, W. E. Miller, H. Marshall.
Bandera county: G. W. Minter.
Houston county: G. G. Winn, L. W. Barker and Thomas Taylor.
Galveston county: W. D. Donells, J. R. Gibson, N. W. Cuney, D. W. Wilson, Geo. H. Neviells, A. Barber, N. H. Smith, L. H. Reynolds, J. S. Tibbetts, John DeBruhl and F. Gray.
Brazoria county: W. H. Henry, N. H. Haller, J. H. Bandy, J. R. Shonon and J. C. Ellis.
Nueces county: D. N. Leathers, J. D. Pettigrew and D. H. Smith.
Falls county: L. S. Simmons, A. Z. Wheeler.
You don't have permission to discuss this page.