Search

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Exhibit
Exhibit Page
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

La Pierre House

Files

Click image to view file:

Dublin Core

Title

La Pierre House

Description

View showing the second building of the Academy of Natural Sciences undergoing expansion adjacent to the La Pierre House hotel on the west side of the 100 block of South Broad Street. Also shows scaffolding attached to the museum and construction materials in the street near a horse-drawn wagon. The Academy building, completed in 1840 after the designs of Philadelphia architect John Notman and raised a story in 1855, housed the museum until 1876. The La Pierre House hotel, completed in 1853 after the designs of Philadelphia architect John McArthur, was expanded and renamed Lafayette Hotel in 1876.

Date

Citation

Frederick De Bourg, “La Pierre House,” ColoredConventions.org, accessed October 23, 2019, http://coloredconventions.org/items/show/673.